|Learning Target OR Standards & Connections
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.EE.A.2.C – Evaluate expressions at specific values of their variables. Include expressions that arise from formulas used in real-world problems.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.HSA.SSE.B.4 – Derive the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series (when the common ratio is not 1), and use the formula to solve problems.
- Identify the correct formula for a given situation and demonstrate their understanding & application by creating a song.
- Assigns each pair of students a formula (or whatever objective you’d like memorized).
- Students research and learn about their formula ( Formulas are written using variables, a variable is a letter or symbol that represents a number, to use a formula – substitute the numbers for the variables and apply the order of operations).
- The students write a jingle or rap based on their research/formula.
- Using Soundtrap, the students capture their song by recording, adding loops, sound effects, etc.
- Students can load some or all of the jingles/raps onto their phones as ringtones or share out via social media.
- Cross-curricular Connection: The teacher can team up with the school’s music teacher to help students put together more complex raps and jingles that fulfill music requirements.
The author of this is Meredith Allen. Prior to joining the Soundtrap team, Meredith served as an Instructional Technology Consultant at Prairie Lakes Area Education Agency in Iowa. Preceding her consulting, Meredith taught instrumental music, K-7 technology and facilitated a district’s Virtual Reality Education Pathfinders program. She also served on their District Leadership Team, served as the district’s Technology Integrationist, and assisted with implementation of the district’s 1:1 computing initiative.Meredith has a Master’s of Science in Technology for Education and Training and participated in the 2016 Iowa cohort of the national Teacher Leadership Initiative.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.