NAfME Electronic Music Composition Award WinnersOctober 14, 2020
It’s our pleasure to congratulate the winners of the 2020 NAfME Electronic Music Composition Competition, recognizing outstanding compositions that highlight music technology’s effectiveness in school curriculum. Winners were selected for the Grades K-8, Grades 9-12, and Collegiate levels.
Soundtrap is proud to provide the prize for competition winners, a three-month Premium Personal Soundtrap Account that includes project storage, access to all loops (2980+), all instruments/sounds (210+), and Time Restore. In addition, teachers of the winners were awarded access to Soundtrap for Education for one year, for up to 50 users.
Students and teachers came together to produce memorable musical works that were either composed electronically or included electronic instruments that, in some instances, were combined with vocals and acoustic instruments. They were judged on their aesthetic quality, use of electronic media, and the power of the composition.
Congratulations to the winners and to all who participated! Here is a list of those who received recognition:
Winner: Matthew Lee, “Breakthrough”
- Teacher, Daseul Kim―Primoris Academy, Allendale, NJ
Honorable Mention: Braylon Cook, “Rapid Fire”
- Teacher, Lisa Butler―Riverside Presbyterian Day School, Jacksonville, FL
Honorable Mention: Jackson Laird, “Alive”
- Teacher, Samuel Brown―Rainey-McCullers School of The Arts, Columbus, GA
High School Category
Winner: Elijah Croyle, “Soul Dog”
- Teacher, Tadd Morris―Glacier Peak High School, Snohomish, WA
Honorable Mention: Madeline Cahill, “Time Machine”
- Teacher, Stephen Billington―New Roads School, Los Angeles, CA
Honorable Mention: Preston Leatherman, “To Mars and Back”
- Teacher, Brett Grime―Tinora High School, Defiance, OH
Honorable Mention: Shawn McIntire, “Birth of a Legend”
- Teacher, Elliott Hile―Lakes Community High School, Lake Villa, IL
Winner: Estevan Olmos, California State University — Fresno, “Cali-Mexup”
Honorable Mention: Daniel Cobo, Azusa Pacific University, “You’ll Never Get To Heaven”